- Dr. Liana Lorenzo-Echeverri, LMFT
Moms: How to Make Time for Yourself When Feeling Burnt Out
As a mom, we can feel so burnt out or exhausted that we tend to lack energy to prioritize ourselves. This seems to be a common topic in my sessions with moms. “We are too busy, and I don’t have time for myself”. I work with my clients to listen to their bodies and to not neglect their needs.
You define how you want to spend your alone time/self-care. Throughout my discussions with my clients I have learned that self-care looks different for everyone. Some may consider having time to shower as their self-care, or a solo car ride, or even time to take a nap. While others prefer a trip to Target, working out, or getting their nails done as their self-care. There is no correct way to practice this time alone for yourself.
It may not be easy to make time for self-care, especially when you feel so exhausted from work and all the other busy activities and planning that come along with being a mom. However, lacking energy is an indicator that you are feeling burnt out and could benefit from practicing self-care. While attempting self-care, if you find yourself feeling mom guilt, reframe the thought from being “selfish” to having time for yourself as a chance to recharge. Both you and your family will benefit from this. You will discover you have more patience and energy towards your family.
Here are some pointers on how to make time for yourself when feeling burnt out that can be effective in prioritizing yourself and living a balanced lifestyle when feeling a lack of energy or time.
1. Don’t put pressure on yourself for what self-care looks like
2. Ask yourself what do you do to take care of yourself?
3. Make a plan for the week to prioritize yourself when it makes sense for you
4. It does not always have to look the same, you can switch what you do for yourself depending on your mood, schedule, and energy level that day.
5. Does not have to be costly
6. Does not have to take a lot of your time
7. Remember it is okay and healthy to make yourself a priority
8. Do not neglect your needs!